Sunday, April 13, 2014

Fanciful snack clips!

Dad! I'm calling you out on this one. I can't tell you how many times I'd come home for a snack after school only to find the chip bag wide open and all the chips terribly stale. I have no idea why we never bought chip clips. If your family is like my family then you may need to make these. It's a super easy craft. I could even squeeze a couple in during the little one's nap time. They are way cuter and cheaper than the plastic ones you can buy at the store. Some large snack bags might require two clips. I can't wait to use these on all the goodies we buy at Trader Joes!





Supplies list:

1. pencil
2. good scissors
3. white all purpose acrylic paint
4. Trusty glue (love Mod Podge!)
5. Some sort of applicator (I tried the foam brush and a regular paint brush, I prefer the foam)
6. Wooden Clothespins of all sizes
7. scrap book paper


With so many paper options it would be very easy to make these as gifts. People will love you for them. They're so great you won't want to keep them hidden in the pantry but will want to show them off at your next picnic lunch or around the office at work.


Step 1:
I used the brush initially because I loved the streak lines the hair would make, but I realized after that the tops and bottoms will be covered with paper so it didn't actually matter. Paint the top and the sides and let dry, make sure you rinse your brush while you wait to apply the underside and second coat of white paint. I played with the clip when it was close to dry to make sure the clipping end didn't stick together. 


Step 2:

Time to trace the paper for the clip! Lay the clip with the side of the paper you want on the clip facing the table. 
Do this a total of two times. Make sure you flip the clip over, tracing the white side and the wood side.  It's amazing how different each clothespin can be. Production problems perhaps? Here's what you should have at the end of the second step.

Step 3:

Cut out those two bad boys. I am not a perfectionist and pretty much failed cutting in kindergarten, so if I can do this you can too! 

Step 4:

It's time to glue on those lovely pieces of paper. Put one layer of modpodge glue down on one side of the clip and place the corresponding piece on the glue. Seal that piece of paper with another layer of glue on top. 


MAKE SURE TO WAIT UNTIL THE GLUE IS DRY BEFORE REPEATING ON THE OTHER SIDE
(I'm not yelling, just kindly emphasizing)

Step 5:

Add a second layer of glue to both sides! Then once it's dry you can use this little functional piece of art you created! 

No comments:

Post a Comment